Tuesday, June 1, 2010

3 days in


It's only been 3 days since I arrived here but it feels like so much longer. The people here are so warm and welcoming that you instantly feel like you're part of the family.

Yesterday I was put to work. It was my first shift at the Baha'i Centre and I was put in with the kitchen staff. We started at 9am and within 30min of work I started to cry. I cried more than I cried when I left my family at the airport, I just couldn't control it no matter how hard I tried.. by the 3rd onion I gave up and asked one of the other girls to finish cutting the rest.
Now everyone teases me about how I cry everyday because today I was in the kitchen again cutting onions and crying.

I have 2 roommates Ivy and Nondwe. Ivy works in the finance section and Nondwe in the kitchen. Everyday we cook lunch for about 35 staff at the centre. Other departments include gardens, security, the secretariat and laundry. The structure is based off that of the Baha'i World Centre so it's really structured. Kitchen staff work 6 days a week 9-6 but when there are function they work 12 hours and often work7 days a week. They are very short staffed here which is why the youth are so exhausted so anyone feel like going on service South Africa is taking offers.

Today I forced Michael, a Baha'i guy from Adelaide who is travelling through here, to come with me to the Aus vs Denmark game. We got soooo lost. The stadium (Ruimsig Stadium) doesn't appear int he GPS beause it's actually called Roodepoort Athletics Stadium and its FIFA name is Ruimsig. So we got to the game late but it was ok because no one scored till the second half. We won 1-0!! It was a nice little victory and it hope it keeps our team on good spirits. It was hard to find other Australians in the crowd because there were so many South Africans at the game and they were all wearing their jearseys which are also green and gold.



Tonight I ate a whole pizza

Life here is difficult for me because I have to rely on others. I can't go anywhere unless someone can drive me. I don't yet know my way around and I can't get a sim card without my passport which is with one of the Baha'is who is holding it for me and I can't get to her without a car which I can't get to unless someone has the time to drive me.

Otherwise things are good and I'm looking forward to my big sis coming and travelling a bit.

Until next time I get access to a computer

Ta ta

1 comment: