Monday, November 22, 2010

Will and the Indians

In the last 2 days that I have begun writing again I have started 3 blog posts of which I have only been able to finish 1. What I've realised is that I don't feel like writing about myself, every time I start writing about something too much related to myself I just stop part of the way in and move on to something else so I decided that until this phase (and I hope it's a phase) ends I will just have to write about people that aren't me.

This one goes out to Will and the Indians. It's a band for which my little brother plays the drums and what I'm about to say is not completely based on the obvious bias I have towards anything involving my brother but is also based on the facts and those facts are that this is a really amazing band.

Besides the fact that they make music that is way more mature than their age (they started the band at 15.. they are now 16) I admire more than anything their amazing determination and dedication to something that they love. These 4 boys being Will - lead guitarist and singer, Kabir - guitar, Michael - bass and my brother Matin - drums, have shown a maturity and responsibility for their music that I have never been able to master. Even more amazing is that all of them with the exception of Will are fairly new to music. They have been playing for a couple of years and for the most part have been learning their instruments as they go.

Really what I want to do is share what they have created. Baha'u'llah says "We, verily, have made music as a ladder for your souls, a means whereby they may be lifted up unto the realm on high" (Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 38)

These boys have tapped into a creative stream that has the potential to elevate the soul and I am so proud of them for that. All of us have been given gifts and potentials and we can only hope that we utilise those gifts to fulfil our potentials, I believe that these boys are doing just that. They make good music, music that I put on my ipod and listen to and get stuck in my head and start singing at random occasions throughout the day and I'm proud of them for that. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing someone you love achieve something great and every time I think of my little brother, my baby bro I feel so fulfilled. He makes me want to do better, want to achieve more. It's crazy to admit but I actually look up to him (right now he's probably thinking literally, yes he is taller than me too haha).

So here I go.. sharing this because that's what you do when you have something amazing in your reach, you share it with others.

myspace - this is where all the music is at


And this video is the boys in the train doing one of their songs A Capella - "Cold Weather". Although I don't know who the kid is with the long blond hair on the left.. he's not in the band



No comments:

Post a Comment